ACT and SAT: BHS code is 440535

ACT Exam Information & Registration:

SAT Exam Information & Registration: 

ACT and SAT Fee Waiver Vouchers are available if you meet certain criteria. Stop by the counselor's office for more information.


P.O. Box 37

#1 Bearcat Drive

Beckville, TX 75631

Phone: 903-678-3591

Fax: 903-678-3645

College Admission Process

Congratulations on deciding to go to college! There are several steps in the college admission process. Like most things, it doesn't happen overnight; it is a gradual process so you do not want to wait until the last minute. Early admission is always the best way to go! Request your application for admission early. Complete the application and return it early with all of the required documents for admission. 

Apply Early! 

Some colleges accept applications as early as September of your Senior year!!

Steps to Follow: 

The above suggested procedures hold true for most two or four year colleges, both publicly supported and private institutions. The same is true for most post-secondary vocational or technical schools or institutions such as Texas State Technical College , Lincoln College of Technology, or Spartan College of Aeronautics and Technology.

High School Course Requirements for Universities and Junior Colleges:

Each institution has certain specific admission requirements which will indicate which high school courses you are required to have in order to attend that institution. For example, a four year university requires biology, chemistry, physics, Algebra II and four years of English; plus, you will need to graduate on either Recommended, Distinguished, or Foundation High School Plan with the courses listed. Research your college of choice and make sure you are taking required high school courses geared towards a college preparatory plan. 

   University (4 year college) - Most institutions require the following high school credits:

4 credits of English

4 credits of Math (including Algebra II)

4 credits of Science (including Biology, Chemistry, Physics)

4 credits of Social Studies

2 years Foreign Language

Junior College (2 year college) - Most institutions require the following high school credits:

4 credits of English

3 credits of Math

3 credits of Science (depending on student's high school graduation plan)

4 credits of Social Studies

College Entrance Exam Requirements:

Most colleges require either the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) or the ACT Assessment Test (ACT). Registration information for these tests may be obtained from your counselor or from the "College Wall" in the high school foyer. You may also click on the links above to register online for either of the tests. 

Junior colleges require the Texas Success Initiative test. You must meet the exam scores listed below in order to register for college courses; otherwise, you will be placed in remedial English or math courses (these courses are not for college credit): 

Reading: 351

Math: 350

Writing: 349 with a 4 or 5 on the essay

 TSI Exam Sample Questions

When you apply for Federal Financial Aid or FAFSA, you are applying for three or more types of financial student aid. 

Free Application for Federal Student Aid

Helpful Link to determine if you need to file for 

Texas Application Student Financial Aid or Free Application for Federal Student Aid: 

Your Financial Aid Application - TASFA or FAFSA?

GRANTS: these are financial aid programs that students do not repay. Grants are often called "gift aid."

LOANS: these are subsidized or unsubsidized financial aid student loans that must be repaid. 

There are two types of loan programs:

 1) Federal Perkins Loan Program 

 2)Direct Loan Programs (subsidized or unsubsidized)

WORK STUDY: this allows the student to work and earn money to help pay for college. The money you earn is applied directly to the cost of your education.

Other Federal Programs:

The purpose of the program is to provide grant aid to financially needy students enrolled in Texas public two-year colleges. Applicants must:

This grant provides assistance to students with financial need. Applicants must:

Public colleges or universities in Texas make TPEG awards from their own resources. Only in-state (Texas) public colleges or universities may participate in the program (no private, non-profit or career colleges or universities). Deadlines and amounts vary. Complete the FAFSA and contact the financial aid office at your college for additional information. 

The 80th Texas legislature created the Top 10% Scholarship to encourage students who graduate in the top 10% of their high school class to attend a Texas public institution of higher education. For the upcoming year, all qualifying student who submit their FAFSA or the Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TAFSA) and have financial need may be eligible if they enroll full-time in a Texas public college or university in the fall semester of their graduating year. 

The Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TAFSA) is for students who are not eligible to complete the FAFSA because of citizenship status. House Bill 1403/Senate Bill 1528 states that some non-documented students may qualify as residents for higher education purposes such as in-state tuition and financial aid.